If you are really interested in having a hedgehog as a pet you will be pleasantly surprised to learn they make good pets. These adorable creatures as also known as “hedgies” and can make good pets for your home.
- If you want a pet that makes no noise, the hedgehog is the pet for you. Apart from soft purring noises, hedgies are silent most of the time.
- If you want little physical interaction with your pet, hedgehogs are good for that too. They typically like being alone so an hour a day with them should be good enough to bond.
- Hedgies have relatively low exercise requirements. Just get them an exercise wheel and that will be enough.
- Unlike dogs or cats, hedgehogs can be engaged anytime during the day or night.
- You don’t need a play yard or a big cage for hedgies. Hedgehogs thrive in places where they may freely roam but are still confined to one place.
- One of the best characteristics has to be the body odour aspect. Hedgehogs are not smelly as long as you keep their living areas clean.
If you do sense an odour coming from your pet hedgehog, then you know it needs a visit to the vet right away.
As for the spines, they are very sharp on baby hedgehogs; as they mature, the spines are not as sharp. If you handle them gently, the prickliness will not hurt. They are easily stressed by loud noises so you can’t have them around small children.